Objectives, Asset Allocation and Risks can't be separated...
So your best asset is a good plan...
Academic research has shown the largest contributor to investment return is asset allocation; simply put it's matching the right blend of investments with relevant objectives, circumstances and attitude to risk.
Every client's individual, personal factors will influence all these areas. Investors typically seek Growth or Income, or possibly a combination of Income &Growth; but over what term, what access needs and how much risk ?
... it makes sense to have a personal plan ...
Typically investors broadly focus on three main concerns:
- Will the value of my portfolio rise and fall ('volatility') and by how much?
- What is the probability of losing some or all of my capital?
- What return is likely to be achieved
But there are other important aspects to consider:
- What risk might be necessary to achieve my goals?
- What return is available without risk?
- What are the risks of not achieving my goals?
As planners and advisers we can assist you in many ways.
- Our Risk Profiling process takes account of our clients' knowledge and experience
- We review the risks associated with specific objectives
- We also review capital loss and volatility tolerance for profiles in each area as well as an overall view.
- Your risk profile is a starting point, not a conclusion; a basis to review your objectives & risk profile together
- Comparing the risks you can accept with the risks your goals imply helps you to proceed with confidence
A good financial plan will cover the risks of doing nothing, the return available from the risk you can accept and the risks associated with your personal objectives.